Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Final Thoughts

As every student at FGCU knows, we all are required to take University Colloquium. A class that emphasizes sustainability in nature and focuses on aspects of the world. At first, I was probably less than excited about having to take this course. But now that it is done and over with, I feel that I learned a lot of things that you probably won't learn in another class. This class made me realize my own emissions, and to become more aware of society and how everyone else around me uses the resources that are given to me. I think that if anything though, to change the class I would suggest maybe making the lecture part of the class more hands on. Instead of just giving a lecture for over 2 hours to a bunch of sleepy, bored college kids. I think maybe making it more interactive would benefit the students more and make them appreciate it a lot more. Maybe doing a lot more activities, power points and videos to emphasize the points stated would be a good start. I think all the assignments given were appropriate because they all had a specific purpose to teach everyone and they all did that well. Yes, no one likes writing the blogs because it requires time and effort, but it really makes you think about how you use the Earth's resources, and what will happen to the younger generations. All the essays as well just reinforced what we discussed in class and they evoked creative thinking out of all of us, which I think should be the point. Honestly, most of the readings were boring and it took everything I could to keep my attention focused on them, but I like how they all related carefully to what was being discussed in class, and I liked reading about other peoples points of views as well. I like reading David Orr's work because it always gets my attention and he always makes points that are relevant to now, so that its not just pure torture to read. I liked all the field trips as well, with the obvious exception of the first field trip we took. The Wet Walk. But I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wasn't too thrilled about being knee deep in cold water in the middle of a swamp. But these field trips were used as reinforcement tools for what was topics were being introduced and it only helped me solidify what I was learning inside of the classroom. I really don't have any suggestions on how to improve the field trips because they all help teach something different, and they all give us the chance to see something that we probably wouldn't do on our own time. It was nice to see all the nature, animals and everything that I have not been able to experience before. With all of this being said, I enjoyed Colloquium more than I thought I would and I have nothing else to offer on how to make it any more enjoyable than I already thought. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment