Saturday, April 14, 2012

Environmental Health




I think it's safe to say that the environment and human health closely correlate together. We as humans live in the environment, breathe in the air, scents, we touch what we see and so on. If something goes wrong in the environment then it is guaranteed that something will change in our health. If acid rain starts to occur, it can damage any kind of crops maybe that we depend on as a food source, thus affecting our health. Same goes for fires, the flames can engulf a home, or the inhalation of the smoke can cause lung problems, congestion and sometimes even death if humans are exposed more than they should be. The environment and human health exist I think in a delicate balance where one can easily manipulate the other if it really wanted to. Using the knowledge that I have gained from taking Colloquium, I have becomes more aware of the red tides that are now invading Southwest Florida's shores, due to the excess of nitrogenous rich fertilizers that pour into our water systems. These red tides can cause various health problems, ranging from symptoms that resemble allergies to possibly hospitalization from direct exposure to these tides. They not only create eyesores to look at in Southwest Florida, but they endanger residents and increase the worry among citizens. Luckily, the Sierra Club is trying to do something about these tides. Campaigning around the areas where these tides are known to break out, and educating people on what other sources of fertilizers they can use, and how much to use as to avoid more runoff, which also kills the various marine life. With further disrupts humans lives. I think the Sierra Club is doing a good job so far. They are providing the foundations for effective learning about the tides. Teaching people their mistakes and better alternatives decreases the chance of the mistake happening again. I feel like I can do my part in this by also telling my friends and neighbors what can happen if they have fertilizer that runs off into water sources, and to just promote further awareness as best as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment