Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Downtown Fort Myers

For this field trip, we all got the chance to go down into Downtown Fort Myers, see the historic districts and also take a trip to the Southwest Florida Historic Museum. Overall, I liked this field trip because I personally have not had the chance to see downtown Ft. Myers, and I really enjoyed seeing the historic streets, and how everything used to be. It always intrigues me to see old buildings and even how all the architecture and decorations have changed. I feel like however that most of the time that we spent downtown just walking around, would have been better spent at the museum. I really enjoyed the museum and I wish that we had been given more time to explore it more, and to take the time to read all the information that was provided. My favorite part of the museum was looking at all the Indian artifacts that had been found and replicated. It really makes me wonder how they were able to survive the way they did and also if I could even survive like that if I had to. It really intrigues me to learn about the Indians of Southwest Florida, and how they lived off of all this land until everything was urbanized. Another thing that really impacted me was seeing all the historic landmarks, like the fountain that has Edison, Ford and Firestone all around a small campfire. I thought this was really unique and how it incorporated them together as friends. I thought Downtown Fort Myers was nice and I am glad that I finally got the chance to see some of it and I feel that maybe to make it more sustainable that there should be less construction going on, and maybe make more walker friendly areas, so as to reduce car emissions, and that people will want to spend more time outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment