Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Reflecting on Colloquium



In order to graduate from the University, everyone is expected to take and pass University Colloquium. An environmentally based class that looks at all aspects of nature, and also happens to be a writing intensive class. Coming into this class, I wasn't really looking forward to it because well, for one it is at 8 in the morning, and secondly it just wasn't the type of class that sparked my interest. Being a science major, the only classes that usually intrigue me are the ones that deal specifically with my major. However after having two classes already with colloquium, I feel that maybe my attitude has changed a bit. I like the discussions that we have in class because they make you actually think and explain why you feel a certain way about said topic. Unfortunately my experiences with nature in Southwest Florida have been brief, because I'm only here to go to school. However I would like to be able to take some time and go explore what is around and reflect on how it all looks to me. My relationship with the natural world is a good one, I must say. I love to be outside whether I'm studying, or taking a walk to get time to myself. My dad and I are planning to hike the Applachian Trail as soon as we both have a break in our schedules and I am beyong excited for that, it gives me something to look forward to amidst the buzz of school work that I have. I feel that nature has a really soothing effect on my mind whenever I'm stressed out or mad or whatever I'm feeling at the time. I don't really have any anxieties about this class because we all have to take it and I might as well suck it up and learn something in the process. This class is going to be a benefical component to my education because even though it is not what I normally would take, and it doesn't directly relate to me major, I would like to be well rounded in my classes and have a suffiecient knowledge in a whole range of topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment