


Tuesday, January 18 we embarked on the Campus Wet walk which entailed going on the Nature Trails of campus, identifying some species that we saw while out on the walk. Overall for the most part, I found this experience to be enjoyable because I like being outside and I had not been on the campus nature trails at all, so it was nice for me to able to finally go see them, and the time we went on this walk was the perfect temperature so it wasn't hot, and it wasn't too cold either, which made the experience comforting to me, overall. I enjoyed listening to our guide because she really knew what she was talking about and I love learning new things, especially about nature for that fact. I was surprised to see the Oak Dome, because I had never seen it nor heard of it, and it was so amazing to me to see how the trees were able to intertwine themselves to create the dome-like presence. It was extremely relaxing for me and it seems like the perfect place to go on a picnic, study or just go out to meditate. I liked learning about the different types of trees that were inhabiting the space and it amazed me how quickly habitats changes just with a few steps. When we actually got to the swamp aspect of the walk, it was a little scary to me at first. I mean who wouldn't be a little freaked out to suddenly be knee deep in a swamp that normally is home to all kinds of wildlife, such as snakes, spiders and gators? I was scared at first because I was expecting to look down and some snake would be staring at me or a gator would be like "mm dinner" but I feel that if I was more mentally and physically prepared for the adventure then I would have enjoyed it alot more. I had been on a thing called a "Mud walk" when I was in fifth grade and I remember that they had us duct tape our shoes and jeans so that the mud suction would just steal our shoes off of our feet, and I had found that so fascinating as a child, that I'm glad I was able to rekindle that fascination with being out of my comfort zone and in a predicament where most people are not able to experience what I did. Since seeing the Nature Trails, I have found this new respect for nature, and I find myself extremely lucky that if I want to go experience nature like that, all I have to do is walk across campus. If anything, I didn't really have an opinion of these trails prior, because I had never visited them, but now after experiencing them, I enjoy them alot and I would like to go see them more often and show my friends what I have seen and hope that they will share my infatuation as well
No comments:
Post a Comment