



March 18, 2012
For this assignment it was dictated that we were to take a walk around our neighborhood. Well for me, my neighborhood encompasses the area of FGCU since I live on campus currently. Earlier today I decided to take my walk not only for so I could write this entry, but to also enjoy the fresh air and just get away from everything and everyone, mentally and physically. To me, North Lake Village gravitates more toward the environmentally friendly standards as opposed to just another University in general. As a school that prides itself on our "green status", it just seems appropriate that even student housing would reflect this status as well. All the rooftops of the apartment are green, as opposed to a regular brown, so they can reflect more light instead of absorbing it, making the apartments hotter, thus increasing the use of air conditioner. Another thing that I noticed is all the surrounding nature that supports all the small wildlife that we seem to have. Lots of green, lush areas allow the rabbits and birds, raccoon's, etc. to be able to live comfortably and have means for sustainability for themselves. I personally find all of the nature around me to have an extremely comforting affect, because when I'm stressed out, it's really nice to take a walk and just look at the flowers blooming and maybe I'll see a little rabbit hopping around. There have been many studies that show that the color green has been shown to promote relaxation in people, and I support this fact. Looking at flowers, trees, anything outside really always helps create a stress free atmosphere for myself. However in all honesty, I don't believe that possibly other than the roofs of the apartments, that there is any other sustainable aspects of housing, at least. As far as I'm aware, water usage is not limited, nor electricity, or garbage output.
One thing that I noticed that could be possibly viewed as a cultural site would be the big hut over by the school's waterfront. People can go to it and meditate, play music, pray if they even so desired. It does not forbid anybody from using it, and people can use it however they so desire. Therefore I think that the hut would be a cultural site, since it can feed to people's emotions, anything they grew up with, etc. Other than the rabbits that can be seen at certain hours of the day, I have seen a few raccoon's, the occasional snake, lots of birds, and even once a bobcat! I have heard that there is a panther that is on the school grounds, but I have not seen a sight of the great cat. I like how this little environment can support all these different types of wildlife, no matter how diverse their living habits. Ironically enough, the one place in my "neighborhood" that I feel a sense of Place is the FGCU Waterfront. I always feel stress free when I am there, and I can meditate on every aspect of my life, nature, the universe, anything. The water, the breeze, the low number of people just make this spot of mine all the more better, because it really allows me to feel at one with nature, something that can't be done amid all the congestion of a society.
No comments:
Post a Comment