Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ecological Footprint





Today I took the Ecological Footprint game that was given to us on our course schedule, and the results are true eye openers. My score was 25.4 global hectares, which says that we would need 3 Earth's to support everyone if everyone on the planet lived the way my roommates and I do. This actually disturbs me a little bit because it shows you how valuable energy is and that if we as a civilization are not careful, then all of our resources are going to run out sooner that we thought, and that we are not going to have any means of supporting ourselves as a population, eventually forcing the human race to cease to exist, because we used up all the resources. I feel that our score is that score because since we live in an apartment complex that is not entirely focused on being energy efficient, we do not have energy saving light bulbs, and my roommates do not have very gas efficient cars, while my car is actually extremely good on gas, since it gets 38 mpg in the city, 40 on highway. Also my roommates and I all shower daily, so that uses alot of water, along with using the dishwasher, or anything like that. The changes that I would be willing to make would be to switch to more efficient bulbs, being more watchful of what we eat, and what we buy, for example how often we buy and consume meat and packaged and processed products, I would also be more aware to do the speed limit when driving, and try and carpool as much as is convenient so we can cut down on our car emissions. These results truthfully are an eye opener to me and I would really like to cut down my energy usage, along with my roommates usage as much as possible, so yes I would and will change the way that I live. I think that everyone, not just myself and my roommates needs to change the way we live or our resources are going to run out faster than we think, and we are not going to have an alternative planet to go live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment