"BUY NOW!" "BUY THIS AND YOU WONT REGRET IT" "THE TIME IS NOW!"
There are so many ads in today's society that it's like you can't go anywhere without seeing something that is being advertised for sale. To me, advertising is just a way for people to throw their product in someone's face and make it sound more wonderful that it possibly is. The only times I buy a certain product is if I've used it before and I'm familiar with it. I usually buy generic items because they are the most cheap and I don't like spending alot of money to begin with. I'm not really swayed by celebrity endorsements because I know that they are just being paid big bucks to even do the ad so I don't really pay mind to them. Most ads will say like "This percentage of the people that tried this product had a 100% success rate" or something like that, that sometimes it's just to weird to believe. I found an ad earlier that was on the web, it went something like this "BUY THIS NOW AND YOU'LL BE SO HAPPY YOU DID! Customers who bought this product have never had any bad experiences with it. Oddly enough, it was for this odd looking treadmill that has both the power of an eliptical and a treaddmill combined. People will sometimes almost say anything to get youto buy their product and it's almost sad at how far they are willing to go. I think they usually just try and show the "positive" side to their product so one never really thinks about the bad effects to buying something. Ads like that are almost always using catchy jingles, flashing lights and sometimes even amazing looking people just to make you be like, "hmmm, I really need that". When most times, you don't.
I always find myself commenting on your blogs! You're funny and sarcastic just like me so I'm drawn to your writing! Haha! I agree with you saying advertising is a way to throw their product in someone's face. It's gotten to the point where it's at an obnoxious level. When commercials say "99% of people surveyed like this product!" okay dude...how many people were surveyed? Three? It always makes me think. It's ALWAYS things you don't need, too. Everything is such a waste of money and the LAST thing people need in this economy are more reasons to spend money on a "Bump It!" Infomercials always sell bootleg merchandise and try to make it look like pure gold nuggets or something. Plus, the people are always very obnoxious about what they're selling. Like the "Snuggie" people. Wowwww, a blanket with arms...I don't own a robe or a jacket or anything...hahaha. I'm glad someone shares my sarcastic view on advertising :)!
ReplyDeleteThose types of ads are so annoying, they hardly ever work anyway. I’m the same way with buying things, I always go for cheaper except when it comes to my ketchup I love heinz, hunts is so gross. I always buy things when I know a friend or family member as used it and like it other then that I probably won’t buy the product, I’m scared of it not working in the end. As for the spokes people they never get my attention I really can never recognize famous people and they can’t make me buy a product just because I love them. I like your points of view on advertising it’s similar to mine.
ReplyDeletei enjoyed your opinion and agree. I dislike the lengths advertisers go to to get our attention. Making assumptions about what consumers will respond to has given them negative connotations...that are usuall justified.
ReplyDeleteHaha everything you just said is so true! All you hear about is the good things about the product not the bad. And the sayings they say like "BUY NOW!" "BUY THIS AND YOU WONT REGRET IT" "THE TIME IS NOW!" and "BUY THIS NOW AND YOU'LL BE SO HAPPY YOU DID! There full of crap it’s very rare you find a good product that you can actually say that about. I usually buy the generic brands too! You almost always save a couple more dollars. I totally agree with you about the celebrity endorsements. All they want is to get paid. As along has money is offered to them they’ll do anything.
ReplyDeleteHey Brittney!(:
ReplyDeleteYou are so right on everything in your advertising blog. I agree with everything. Advertisments do trick you into thinking you need something when in reality, you don't need it at all.